- The word single means “consisting of a separate, unique whole” (an individual).
- Single suggests being exclusively attentive (an undivided heart).
- The word single comes from the Latin word singulus, which means “one only.”
“She showed single devotion to her religion. To those whose views are single and direct, it is a great comfort to have to do business with frank and honorable minds.” —Thomas Jefferson
Symptoms of those who tend to struggle with singleness in life include difficulties with:
- Identity (“Who am I?” “What is my purpose?”); Ephesians 2:10
- Loneliness (“I need someone to share my life.” “I feel so alone.”); Hebrews 13:5
- Rejection (“I am not wanted.” “I must not be lovable.”); 1 John 3:1
- Fear (“I will be all alone when I am old.” “I don’t want to be hurt ever again.”); Isaiah 41:10
- Bitterness (“I am not receiving the best in life.” “God must be punishing me.”); Psalm 84:11
- Sexuality (“A sexual relationship is the only means to intimacy.” “I don’t know what to do with my sexual desires.”); Romans 12:1
- Self-Worth (“I don’t feel valuable.” “I am not worthy enough to be loved.”); Isaiah 43:4
In our Singleness to the Lord, we should all allow ourselves to focus on being content and the Lord’s content in our relationship with Him.