He Owns It All
“Everything under heaven belongs to me.”
When I (JCD) was a four-year-old boy, my grandmother gave me a one-dollar bill. I thought I was fabulously rich. Two days later, my mother asked me if I was going to give God His “tithe” on the money. That was a new idea for me. I dutifully placed a dime in the offering plate that Sunday and learned a valuable lesson. It was the beginning of a lifelong policy of giving God a portion of every dollar I’ve ever earned.
Do you do the same? Have you taught your children about tithing? Do they see you give regularly? It’s not that we owe 10 percent of our income to God, and the other 90 percent belongs to us. He owns the 90 percent, too, and what we do with those resources is a spiritual decision. The book of Malachi (3:8–9) tells us that a person who doesn’t tithe is actually robbing God!
Tithing can be likened to exercise that stretches and strengthens our generosity. It doesn’t represent the limit to our giving, but rather, a starting point that helps us grow. Paul said, “See that you also excel in this grace of giving” (2 Corinthians 8:7). Let’s steward God’s resources in ways that are wise and pleasing to Him.
Before you say good night…
Forgive us, Jesus, for living at times as if our money is our own and not a gift from You. We need to grow in these things, just as in every other area of our lives. Thank You for Your patience with us and for daily walking at our side. Amen.
This devotional is taken from Night Light for Parents. Copyright © 2000 by James Dobson, Inc. All rights reserved. Used with permission.