- One out of every 30 verses in the Bible mentions the subject of Christ's return or the end of time.
- Of the 216 chapters in the New Testament, there are well over 300 references to the return of Christ.
- 23 of the 27 New Testament books mention Christ's return.
- In the Old Testament, such well-known and reliable men of God as Job, Moses, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, as well as most of the minor prophets mention Christ's return in their writings.
- Christ often spoke specifically about His own return to earth.
- Throughout the centuries, Christ's disciples and followers have adamantly believed, written, and taught that Christ would someday return to earth.
The Bible teaches it. The Lord Jesus stood upon its truths. The apostles declared it and wrote about it. The creeds include it and affirm it.
Quite obviously, His return has not been considered an insignificant issue through the centuries. But the strange thing is that many Christians in this generation either ignore it or are somehow confused by it. Too bad. It is a marvelous truth.
Adapted from Growing Deep in the Christian Life: Essential Truths for Becoming Strong in the Faith (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1995), 266267. Used by permission.
Even a ministry’s most faithful, those who work tirelessly for God’s people decade after decade, can fall into the subtle temptation of greed. An unguarded heart can tempt us to think we deserve the big pay off . . . today! Waiting is exhausting. Now is the time get the reward.
After more than fifty years of full-time ministry, Chuck Swindoll shares a serious warning from God’s Word to help ministry leaders keep their hearts straight—directed to Jesus and His priceless benefits rather than ephemeral money and its vaporous profits.All Sermons by Chuck Swindoll