Tuesday May 30, 2006
Fulfilling Parenting Responsibilities
God wants us to raise children according to biblical principles. We are to train them in:
• Morality and Ethics. Our job is to teach our children that God values honesty, integrity, loyalty, and purity. We are to model it through our dealings with others.
• Relationships. When we give sacrificially, practice good communication, put others first, and demonstrate forgiveness, we help kids develop skills needed for lasting relationships.
• Vocation. Our children need to understand the importance of investing their lives in God’s plan for them. We can help by guiding their education and training while intentionally following God’s will for our own lives.
• Finances. From a young age, boys and girls can be taught the necessity of earning money honestly, spending it carefully, saving it regularly, investing it wisely, and tithing faithfully. Our financial dealings are likewise to reflect these principles.
• Authority and Accountability. Our children must understand that submitting to God’s authority is right and that they are accountable to Him for their choices. They’ll learn valuable lessons when our lives exemplify these truths.
• Personal Value. The Lord wants our sons and daughters to belong to Him and to realize they have true purpose and value. As parents, we can foster their sense of worth and talk to them about the value we’ve found in belonging to Christ.
Children listen to our words, but often it is our actions that impact them the most. Do your choices match up with the instructions you give?
FREE OFFER: In Touch Ministries invites you to celebrate your mother this month and receive our free offer of “Lessons My Mother Taught Me.” The message is a moving snapshot of Dr. Stanley’s childhood and the invaluable time he spent learning from his godly mother. You’ll want to honor your mother everyday for the priceless love she’s given to you. Register today and receive a free CD of Dr. Stanley’s message “Lessons My Mother Taught Me.”
Take the next step in your spiritual walk today! Enroll for free in the Charles Stanley Institute for Christian Living and learn biblical truth under Dr. Charles Stanley.