The Spirit's Work
Acts 2:38-39There is an abundance of failure in the community of faith today. Sadly, it's all too common to find believers who aren't living as Scripture teaches—and they are missing out on the joy and peace that Jesus promised. The reason? When followers of Christ don't recognize the need to live in the Spirit, they attempt to push through each day in their own strength.
On Pentecost, God's Spirit came to indwell believers. He is a gift, blessing us in many ways. Let's consider some of the works He does. The Holy Spirit . . .
• Convicts our hearts of sin so that we can repent and be right with God (John 16:8).
• Regenerates us. We are new beings, alive in Christ (2 Cor. 5:17).
• Seals us forever as a child of the Almighty (Eph. 1:13). We don't ever have to fear the loss of our salvation.
• Teaches, guides, counsels, and empowers us throughout life (John 14:26). Left to our own devices, we confuse truth with deception, but God brings clarity.
• Bears fruit through us (Gal. 5:22-23). As we are obedient to what God calls us to do, we get to watch Him work in mighty ways.
All these benefits are available to everyone who follows Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, we too often bypass all of these by attempting to live in our own meager strength. The Christian life is this: Christ living His life in and through us by the power of the Holy Spirit of the living God.
For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.
Used with permission from In Touch Ministries, Inc. © 2009 All Rights Reserved.