2 Timothy 3:15
From childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
One of the tragedies of our contemporary culture is that people are not convinced of the Bible’s worth. I have often shared with our congregation the burden that people in the 21st century do not believe the Bible has anything to say to today’s generation.
Six hundred Christians from a wide range of cultures were questioned, and it was discovered that 25% read their Bible more than once a week, and most of the remaining 75% don’t read it at all. Did you catch that? Over half of so-called “Christians” today do not even read their Bible! The president of the research group summarized the findings of the survey:
People aren’t reading the Bible because they think it is irrelevant to everyday life. Many people, even those who read the Bible, do not see the Scriptures as containing instruction and answers that deal with the everyday problems they face. They think of the Bible as they would a cookbook. It is a wonderful
thing for putting together thirty-person dinner parties, but it doesn’t have any recipes in it for tonight’s dinner for the family. It’s great for special occasions but not for everyday situations.
Is the Bible relevant today? In the 21st century, is the Word of God still as powerful as it was in Hebrews 4:12, when it was described as “living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword?” Is our Bible today the same divinely-inspired book that Paul spoke of to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16–17, praising it as “profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work”?
The answer is yes!
The Bible that we hold in our hands today, translated from the original languages and passed down to us over the centuries, is just as profitable for every aspect of our lives in the 21st century as it was for believers in the first century.
If you’ve paid attention to history, you’ll understand that except for technological advances, the world hasn’t changed much. People will always be people, and as Solomon wisely said in Ecclesiastes 1:9, “There is nothing new under the sun.” As long as there are people to inhabit the world, there will always be a dire need for truth and direction for living.
Praise be to God who has given us both in His Word! Perhaps the reason Christianity has taken somewhat of a “new face” in the present century is because we have forgotten whose face we are supposed to reflect. The Bible is clear — if we want to know God and His Son, Jesus Christ, He has been revealed in Scripture. His Word is not just a to-do list of spiritual chores, or an informative historical document; it is the way we can know Him and show Him to an unbelieving world.
Scripture is God’s Truth to mankind in every generation, and it never grows old...it’s timeless!Millions of Muslims throughout Iraq, Israel, and Jordan now hear the Gospel in their own language on Wisdom for the Heart! Click on The Forward Movement to read more about this exciting project.
He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
When you think of strong, godly leaders in the Old Testament, who comes to mind? David? Elijah? Abraham? Joshua? In Numbers 13 we are introduced to a man who, though not as prominent in influence as others, was as prominent in faith. Stephen brings us his story as he continues his study of "Forgotten Lives . . . Remembered Truths."All Sermons by Dr. Stephen Davey