Four Heart Attitudes for Giving
By Rick Warren
“You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully’” (2 Corinthians 9:7 NLT).
How do you have the attitude God wants you to have when you give? It starts with your heart. God is a lot more interested in your willingness to give than your wealth, because he’s interested in what’s happening in your heart when you decide to give.
The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 9:7, “You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully’” (NLT). This verse talks specifically about four key heart attitudes you should have when you give.
1. Give thoughtfully. Don’t give impulsively. The most spiritual kind of giving is when you think about it and pray about it and make up your mind about it. Why? Because we plan anything that’s important in our lives. God wants your giving to be important and meaningful in your life.
2. Give enthusiastically. Don’t just say, “I have to give! If I don’t give, God’s going to hit me with lightning or something.” Give because you know God’s going to do something big in your heart when you become a generous person.
3. Give voluntarily. Anytime you’re pressured by a person to give, don’t give. God’s not going to bless it anyway. But every time you feel challenged by God to give, you’d better give.
4. Give cheerfully. Give with joy! One of the Greek words for offering is the word “hilarious.” God wants you to enjoy giving to him and to others.
Sometimes it’s a challenge to be cheerful when God’s challenging you to give. Whenever you feel that way, just remind yourself of the benefits of what God wants to do in your heart: It creates community. It defeats materialism. It strengthens your faith. It’s an investment for eternity. It blesses you in return. And it makes you more like God.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Let God lead you into financial freedom!
I want to help you enjoy what God has given you right now by helping you build important financial principles into your life.
God gives us important advice about how to give, save, invest, and spend. And these are the principles Pastor Rick Warren shares in his Financial Fitness study kit.
We want to send you the Financial Fitness DVD Study and workbook to thank you for your gift today to help reach more people with the hope of Jesus Christ.
In this 5-session video study Pastor Rick will help you…
• Understand and apply God’s advice about your money.
• Do more with your money than you ever thought possible.
• Feel greater peace through financial freedom.
Receive your copy by giving below today—and thank you for helping share the practical and powerful principles of God’s Word with more people through Daily Hope!
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.