Our Spiritual Warfare
Games Demons Play 1 Corinthians 10:14-22
The New Testament is filled with actual cases of demons in contact with humans. Nothing in Scripture informs us that such contact ended with the first century. In fact, 1 Timothy 4:1-3 and 2 Timothy 3:1 link demons to some of the causes of our "latter-day" problems. There is no doubt that demons are as active and aggressive (yet subtle) in our day as in Jesus' day. We shall uncover some of the deceptive ways demons attempt to make contact with humans, what takes place in the process of our becoming "demonized," and how such can be avoided.
Facts About Demons (A Brief Review)
Their Existence - Then and Now (Ephesians 6:10-13). The Scriptures do not set out to prove the existence of demons. Instead, we are warned of their existence and the battle that is going on.
- We are told to "be strong" (v. 10).
- We are told to "put on the armor" (v. I 1).
- We are told to "stand firm" (vv. I 1, 13).
- We are in a "struggle" (v. 12).
- We are told that the demons' organization is in the form of a chain of command (v. 12).
Their Entrance - Ground and Hold (Ephesians 4:26, 27)
- Ground. The demons need a ground of entrance to get into our fives. "Ground" has been defined as "anything that gives advantage to Satan." Examples of "ground" that give opportunity for the devil and demons to enter are: uncontrolled anger, disobedience, religious fanaticism, false cults, lust, sensuality, etc. According to Mrs. Penn Lewis, in her book War on the Saints, “This ground needs to be discovered, confessed to God as sin, and then cancelled in the name of Jesus Christ.”
- Hold. Once a demon gains entrance, it must maintain a "hold" within the person. It is not always the same in every person. In King Saul's case, his open disobedience to the Word opened the way for a demon to enter his life. The demon's hold on him was depression and serious anxieties connected with murderous thoughts.
Their Expulsion - Resisting and Casting (James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:9). These are the only two methods revealed in God's Word. Jesus resisted Satan on Peter's behalf from gaining entrance to his (Peter's) life (Luke 22).
Contact With Demons (I Corinthians 10:14-22)
- Historical/Cultural Background. The going taboo in Paul's day was eating meat that had been sacrificed to idols. This practice posed three problems.
- The sacrificial dinner. This posed a problem for the Christian who was invited to this event where meat was served that had just been sacrificed to idols.
- The meat market. This involved the question for the Christian regarding whether or not he should buy meat in the marketplace that had earlier been sacrificed to idols.
- The private dinner party. The Christian who was invited to this event held by an unbelieving Gentile had to make the decision as to whether or not he would eat in this particular situation.
- A PERILOUS ACTIVITY MAY APPEAR SAFE INITIALLY 1 Corinthians 10:19-20 ‘What am I saying then? That an idol is anything, or what is offered to idols is anything? 20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons.’ (NKJV)
- PARTICIPATION BRINGS CONTAMINATION 1 Corinthians 10:20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. (NKJV)
- CONTACT WITH DEMONS BREAKS COMMUNION WITH CHRIST 1 Corinthians 10:21-22 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord's table and of the table of demons. 22 Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than He? (NKJV)
Exhortation: Modern-Day Contacts
Amusements to avoid:
- Movies that follow the theme of Satan and his demons.
- Television programs dealing with the occult.
- Music that popularizes demonic activities.
- Plays promoting contact with demons.
Games which encourage contact with demons and their related activities should be avoided and burned! (This is the scriptural method of with such things.)
Literature - The feeding of one's mind on the lewd information and photographs so widely and easily available gives a ground of entrance for the demons of sensuality.
Actual Occultic Practice - A list of those things which bring with them demonic contact: black magic, astrology, fetishes and talismans, fortune-telling, séance meetings, witchcraft, palmistry, spiritism, ESP (extra-sensory perception), pictures of witches and occult propaganda, voodoo dolls, candles with occult significance, incense, excessive superstition, religious practices that highlight the emotional, cults, Satan worship, tarot cards, ouija boards, crystal balls, black cubes and related occult practices.
Defense Against Demons
- Confession of Jesus Christ as Personal Lord and Savior John 12:46). Full deliverance comes only through personally claiming His blood and His victory at Calvary on your behalf.
- Cancellation of All Occult/Demonic Practices. Name the sin specifically and burn every trace of any tangible paraphernalia. A total removal and destruction is the only cancellation that God accepts. Acts 19:11-20 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul: 12 So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them. 13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. 14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. 17 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified. 18 And many that believed came, and confessed, and showed their deeds. 19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver. 20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed. (KJV)
The Equipment: God's armor given us in Christ (vv. 14-18)
Defensive Equipment (vv. 14-17a)
- Belt of Truth. Implement of battle hung from the belt which held the soldier's robe together. This means "honesty," "truthfulness," "integrity," and "sincerity." Duplicity brings defeat!.
- Breastplate of Righteousness. This was a heavy piece of armor that completely enclosed the body. This means personal, daily righteousness maintained by confession of sin. Impurity will bring defeat!.
- Shoes of Peace. Soles of the soldier were impregnated with heavy, spike-like hob nails which gave him a good footing. This carries with it the idea of "readiness" or "peace of mind." Anxiety brings defeat!
- Shield of Faith. It was a portable door which the soldier hid behind. The shield served as the buffer from the flaming darts of the enemy. Faith extinguishes all the flaming missiles of the evil one. Doubt brings defeat!
- Helmet of Salvation. The meaning of the helmet is assurance of salvation. Lack of assurance brings defeat!
Offensive Equipment (vv. 17b, 18)
- Sword of the Spirit. Memorizing the Scripture is essential to effectiveness in battle.
- Prayer. This includes petition at all times for others as well as yourself.
- Alertness. The good soldier must be ever alert.