The Flood: The Longest Week in History
Perhaps the greatest word in the Bible as far as we who are saved are concerned is the word GRACE. God introduces us to grace with an astoundingly vivid backdrop. You see the Lord has planned to pour out His wrath against sin two times on earth. First at the Flood secondly at the Tribulation. Both are fantastic pictures of His Grace.
GOD SENT A WARNING
In the flood times God sent Enoch a preaching prophet who told the world.
Jude 14-15 Now Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men also, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, 15 "to execute judgment on all, to convict all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have committed in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him." (NKJV)
Then He sent Methuselah son of Enoch, whose 969 years were the longest human life span and whose name meant "when he dies it comes". Then he sent Noah a preacher of righteousness!
THE LONGEST WEEK IN HISTORY
The longest seven days in history may have started with the loud thud of the massive entrance to the ark slamming shut. With no other means of exit other than a 45-foot plus drop from the deck, Noah and his family were trapped. Day one the crowds yelled, jeered and called out for the flood. Day two and growing animal smells and sounds, passed slowly, more yells and jeers as the crowd grew larger. Many people along the roads had followed the incredible river of animals walking quickly and orderly two by two. Crossing Noah's field they went up the ramp into that huge building Noah had built over the past 120 years. Day three was really hard, nothing happened except it was getting warm in here. The animals seemed to be all quieting down almost like they were going to sleep. Days four through six passed with constant heckling drifting up the walls to the family quarters atop the Ark. Then on Day seven November 17th, 1656 a loud thud was heard on the roof, and then another as massive drops of rain began to pelt the earth. The flood had come.
A massive splat of water hit Mr. & Mrs. Scoffer sitting in their lawn chairs in their back yard. They have sat here on and off over the last century drinking and jeering that old neighbor and his kids that had gone off the deep end. This guy who lived next door was crazy. He was ruining the neighborhood. His farm was now a construction site. A massive 450 foot long building, 75 feet deep and nearly five stories high was out in his pasture. When he wasn't out there dragging wood around he would loudly preach to all of the spectators that gathered to watch about some crazy disaster coming. Water was going to fall on us and cover all of us up? He claimed some deity somewhere was offended by our demon worship, drunkenness and murder. Splat, another wet object jarred Mrs. Scoffer awake. She had been dozing after the effects of last night's revelry.
ON THE GROUND IN THE FLOOD
In fact most of the hundreds of milling towns people were still red eyed. It was almost exactly seven days since Noah and all his family went up that ramp into their wooded building. Some say that the ramp had lifted itself up and sealed the entrance. All we out here know is that the building had no visible entrance left. And now it was getting hard to see, as the sky had grown darker and darker. Animal sounds were the only sign of life coming from the small windows at the top. All of them were starting to get their mocking banter going when the huge clear missiles started arriving from the sky. It was fun at first. The water was cool and drenched our seats and us. Then as the tempo increased it became uncomfortable to stand under them so we began to retreat out of old Noah's yard and back across the field to our homes. As we walked by the piles of lumber, saws and scaffolding the water raining down on us was like a thick curtain. We could hardly see to walk.
At almost the same instant they stopped and with ashen faces shouted to one another, "Is this the FLOOD old Noah was talking about so long?" Then a blinding flash of fire from the sky lit up the countryside like noonday. A deafening boom followed and with terror filled steps they all turned and ran to the huge building Noah had built. Climbing up the scaffolding they pounded frantically on the place the door used to be. The thick sawed gopher wood absorbed the blows and the gooey black pitch stuck to their hands. In the alternating blackness and blinding flashes and booming explosions they crawled home. Soon the ground began to be covered with water and all their deepest fears were confirmed, the FLOOD had arrived and they were wrong.
A FLOOD PREVIEW
On November 17th, 1656 the most disastrous event that has ever happened on earth began. There have been killer quakes over the centuries killing thousands, but nothing like this. There have been deadly plagues over the years killing millions, but never has there been a time that all the inhabitants of the planet except EIGHT were eliminated.
What happened on the ground must have been beyond description. It was not only rain that fell. The fountains of the deep must certainly describe the volcanic activity that surrounded the FLOOD. A brief description of EXPLODING MOUNTAINS SINCE THE FLOOD can give us a little insight into what the earth did during those horrifying days of judgment. In August of 1883, the island of Krakatoa in the Netherlands East Indies (now Indonesia) "burst with a roar heard more than 2,000 miles away; the resultant aerial vibrations circled the globe several times. Volcanic dust blocked out the sun for a radius of 100 miles. Some of it eventually sifted to earth 1,000 miles from Krakatoa; the rest, ejected with a force that drove it into the stratosphere, dispersed over the entire planet, causing spectacular sunsets through the closing months of 1883. Finally came the culminating horror-the tidal waves. More than 100 feet high and with a velocity in excess of 50 miles an hour, they ravaged the nearby coasts of Java and Sumatra. In places they raged inland of 1,000 yards and were still 30 feet high. They swept away entire towns and villages, almost 300 of them. This disaster crushed the life from more than 36,000 people"
Multiply these crustal paroxysms by hundreds of thousands and a mental picture of the early phase of the Flood year will begin to emerge-"on the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up and every living thing was destroyed" (Gen. 7:11, 23).
For just a moment consider the scoffing of our modern days. The apostle Paul asks, "Hath not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?" (I Cor. 1:20). Foolishness in the Biblical sense of that term-is a willful refusal to accept God's explanations of reality in favor of mere human explanations. Uniformitarian geologists today are far less rigid than their nineteenth-century counterparts. They speak of their new freedom and flexibility, even to the point of tolerating major catastrophes. But the trend is somewhat dangerous for their uniformitarian/evolutionary model of earth history.
- Can their system absorb the discovery that the earth's magnetic field began less than 15,000 years ago because of its present rate of dissipation?
- Or the lack of helium in the atmosphere in spite of rapid accretion through radioactive decay processes?
- Or the lack of meteoritic dust on the moon and earth in spite of its present rapid rate of accumulation?
- Or the discovery that oil reservoirs are of recent origin because of the impossibility of long maintaining high fluid pressures under the observed permeabilities of reservoir and trap formations?
- Or the necessarily sudden and recent formation of all of the earth's vast coal deposits?
- Or the rapid formation and excavation of the Grand Canyon, together with the presence of pollen grains in its lowest strata?
- Or the presence of human footprints in the same rock layers with the footprints of huge reptilian dinosaurs?
WHAT GOD WANTS US TO REMEMBER—THE FLOOD CONSIDERED TYPICALLY
The ark is a wonderful picture of our salvation in Christ.
- TRUE SALVATION IS DIVINE [6:13-14]: It was planned by God, not invented by man. John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. (KJV); Ephesians 1:4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, (NKJV); Revelation 13:8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. (NKJV)
- TRUE SALVATION DEALS WITH SIN [6:14]: The word for "pitch" in 6:14 is the same as the word "atonement" used later in the OT. Matthew 1:21 "And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins." (NKJV); John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! (NKJV); 1 John 3:9-10 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. 10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor [is] he who does not love his brother. (NKJV)
- TRUE SALVATION IS PERSONAL [7:1]: The ark was made of wood, speaking of the humanity of Christ: He had to be born as man in order to save us. Philippians 2:7-8 but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, [and] coming in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to [the point of] death, even the death of the cross. (NKJV); John 17:3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. (NKJV); Acts 3:16 "And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which [comes] through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. (NKJV); Acts 26:18 'to open their eyes, [in order] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.' (NKJV)
- GOD SAVES BY INVITATION: God invited Noah and his family into the ark (7:2). John 6:37 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. v. 44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. (NKJV)
- TRUE SALVATION IS EXCLUSIVE [7:13-15]: There was only one way of salvation; there was only one ark and only one door in the ark. John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. (NKJV); Acts 4:12 "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." (NKJV).
- GOD SAVES ETERNALLY [7:16]: and once they were in, God shut them in so that they were secure Jude 24-25 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present [you] faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy, 25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise, [Be] glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen. (NKJV); Hebrews 7:24-25 But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. 25 Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. (NKJV)
- TRUE SALVATION LIBERATES THE COSMOS: The ark not only saved mankind, but also the creatures within it; just as Christ's death will one day deliver creation from the bondage of sin. Romans 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. (NKJV)
- TRUE SALVATION PROTECTS US FROM GOD'S WRATH: The ark saved them from judgment; Christ saves us from the wrath to come. First Peter 3:18-22 connects the ark with the resurrection of Christ; the waters buried the old world but raised Noah to a new life. 1 Thessalonians 1:10 and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, [even] Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come; 5:9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, (NKJV)
- TRUE SALVATION ALWAYS POINTS TO CHRIST: If you will check the Flood schedule, you will see that the ark rested on Ararat on the 17th day of the 7th month. The first month in the Hebrew calendar is October, so the 7th month would be April; and April 17th (three days after Passover, Exodus 12:1-3) is the day our Lord arose from the dead! April was made the first month of the religious year at the Passover, but October remains the first month of the civil year. Luke 24:44-45 Then He said to them, "These [are] the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and [the] Prophets and [the] Psalms concerning Me." 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures. (NKJV)