Fearing God II
Psalm 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. (NKJV)
The preeminent attribute of God is His HOLINESS. All other aspects of His character radiate outward from that attribute. His holiness is His utter distinction from all His creatures and creation. He is above, beyond and separate from all that is decaying, defiled and temporal.
His nature is HOLY.
His decisions are HOLY.
His character is HOLY.
His responses are HOLY.
His decrees are HOLY.
His sovereignty is HOLY.
His love is HOLY.
His wrath is HOLY.
His jealousy is HOLY.
God in every way is HOLY.
To Understand Even a Tiny Bit of His HOLINESS is to FEAR GOD!
The universe FEARS GOD.
Death and disease FEAR GOD.
The fig tree Christ cursed FEARED GOD.
The wind and the waves FEAR GOD.
The demons FEAR GOD.
Satan FEARS GOD.
All the angels of heaven FEAR GOD.
All the saints FEAR GOD.
Fearing God Demands a Response
God created us.
When we fell into sin He sought us.
When we had no hope He came and bought us.
When we could not pay for our sins He offered Himself as payment.
When we were guilty He was a substitutionary sacrifice for our sin.
All that truth leads us to respond. First in saving faith and then in surrendered life.
All around people are dying without hope. They can't find their way to the pathway of hope. The Lord said fearing Him leads you to purity - it is "CLEAN" and permanent - because you will be "ENDURING FOREVER". This is the pathway to God and it is the road to heaven. Even the greatest on earth will miss that way unless they begin fearing God. Responding to God is imperative today. Are you responding to God? Do your neighbors, friends and relatives know that you fear God?
Psalm 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. (KJV)
Why Should We Fear God?
The exhibition: fearing the Lord is presented in the Scriptures as:
- Giving us purifying power - Psalm 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, (NKJV)
- Giving us enduring power - Psalm 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; (NKJV)
- Giving us motivating power - Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever. (NKJV) We are motivated to live a life for His "well done."
- Giving us separating power - Proverbs 8:13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. (NIV) Because we fear Him we turn away from evil.
- Giving us invigorating power - Proverbs 14:27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death. (NIV) Because we fear Him we have an inexhaustible supernatural resource planted within us.
- Giving us enriching power - Isaiah 33:6 He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure. (NIV). Because we fear the Lord we are heir to all the riches in Christ.
- Giving us investing power - Hebrews 12:28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, (NIV). Because we fear the Lord we give back all we are and have to Him!
The motivation: fearing the Lord comes when we see God.
- Fearing God is seeing his greatness.
- Deuteronomy 10:14 "Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the LORD your God, also the earth with all that is in it. 17 "For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality nor takes a bribe. (NKJV);
- Isaiah 40:26 Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power Not one of them is missing. (NASB)
- Fearing God is seeing his awesome wonders Joshua 4:23-24 for the LORD your God dried up the waters of the Jordan before you until you had crossed over, as the LORD your God did to the Red Sea, which He dried up before us until we had crossed over, 24 that all the peoples of the earth may know the hand of the LORD, that it is mighty, that you may fear the LORD your God forever. (NKJV)
- Fearing God is seeing his goodness 1 Samuel 12:24 "Only fear the LORD, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. (NKJV)
- Fearing God is seeing his mercy Psalm 130:4 But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared. (NKJV)
- Fearing God is seeing his wrath Revelation 14:7 saying with a loud voice, Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water. (NKJV)
- Fearing God is seeing his holiness Revelation 15:4 Who shall not fear You, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy. For all nations shall come and worship before You, For Your judgments have been manifested. (NKJV)
The obligation: the fear of the lord should prompt a holy response. Once a servant of God sees His holiness and RESPONDS to it God has big plans for that servant. Don't miss them! How can we miss them? What hinders usefulness?
- In the New Testament Christians are called priests! Listen to Peter and John.
- Peter 2:5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; (NKJV)
- Revelation 1:6 and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. (NKJV)